What kid doesn’t like getting candy? The kid who got candy for Halloween they couldn’t eat! Food Allergies are such a bummer this time of year because there are so many tasty treats that include allergens like eggs, nuts, milk, and soy. It always hurts my heart to hear my son say, What am I going to eat, is there anything for me? As a mother I am always looking for food alternatives that he can enjoy that doesn’t leave him out of all the fun! In this post I am sharing the best tips for an allergy safe Halloween.
What is The Teal Pumpkin Project?
The Teal Pumpkin Project is a movement that allows 1in 13 children with food allergies to have a safe Halloween. To be a part of the project the instructions are simple, place a teal-colored pumpkin outside your door for trick or treaters with food allergies to be aware that your Halloween treats are food allergy friendly.
The Teal Pumpkin Project is to promote inclusion for those with allergies and other ailments. You can participate in Teal Pumpkin Project by simply adding your home to the Teal Pumpkin Project Map for those in your neighborhood to participate in having a allergy free Halloween.
Allergy Friendly Trick or Treating Tips
- 1. Start by purchasing a teal colored candy bucket for your child’s safety. This will ensure that those around them are aware your child has a food allergy.
- 2. Remember to carry an authorized epi-pen in case of unforeseen mishaps
- 3. Bring safe snacks for your child to eat while trick or treating to avoid eating candy before reading all the labels.
- 4. Promote Halloween fun, not just the candy to create a different expectation
- 5. If no one in your area is participating in the Teal Pumpkin Project, deliver allergy free items to your friends and family to allow your child to still enjoy allergy safe Halloween.
- 6. Read Every Label before consuming any candy you did not purchase, even on the candy you know.
- 7. Do not accept any food items without a label.
20 Non- Food Allergy Friendly Halloween Toys
The Teal Pumpkin Project encourages families to purchase non -food items for trick or treaters with food intolerances. The Kid treats listed below are non-food items you can purchase for this years Halloween.
- Glow sticks
- Spin Tops
- Fun Glasses
- Toy Spiders
- Toy Cars
- Rubix Cube
- Finger Skate Boards
- Key Chains
- Pop Its
- Maze Toys
- Squishy Toys
- Rubber Toy Balls
*Please be advised of small items for choking hazards. *
Allergy Safe Candy Treats
- 1. Pretzels
- 2. Yum Earth Candy
- 3. Zolli Pops
- 4. Dots
- 5. Enjoy Life Brand
- 6. Ring Pops
- 7. Smarties
- 8. Dums Dums
Halloween Food Allergy Awareness
Children all around the world are gearing up for Halloween. Help take the stress out of this years Halloween and encourage those around you to participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project.
Every small Toy a child receives matters and is greatly appreciated.
May you find this post to be a blessing.