Procrastinaton is the killer of many peoples dreams and goals. Alot of us start off with writing out our goals and posting them to our calendar, but never get them out of the planning stage and into manifested results. Keep reading to find out how to stop procrastinating and start now.
For as long as I can remember I was a very huge procrastinator; and when I say huge I mean the biggest procrastinator you’d ever meet.
Starting my day with hitting the snooze button at least 20 times, I would wait til 9 o’clock at night to eat dinner or 5 minutes before an event was about to start to leave the house.
Procrastination was apart of my daily routine, and it wasn’t until I had children that I realized, my habits will become their habits if I didn’t change. Let’s fast forward to today….
Hi, I’m Takia, and I overcame procrastination; and you can too!
What are The Four Types of Procrastinators?
The Perfectionist– If you are a perfectionist then you know how difficult it is to fully complete a task. Perfectionist can face many challenges with productivity because they value flawlessness over performance.
While it is very important to show a great deal of effort in your work, it is just as important to move the task along and be timely.
The Last Minute Doer– Do you know anyone who works best under pressure? That person is what I like to call the last minute doer. The last minute doer is a professional at procrastination, but entry level at
The last minute doer waits until the assignment is just about due to get started. However, this doesn’t leave any room for error or mistakes made.
The Micro-Tasker– The micro-tasker is someone who does what is easy or small versus what is urgent. People who pay more attention to smaller task become engrossed in doing things that are usually unimportant; causing them to procrastinate and prolong efficient performance.
Over- Planner– Over planning is the #1 cause of many people never getting started. Now don’t get me wrong it is important to plan, however, planning is an effective tool used for guidance. Your task should consist of listed or numbered steps needed to complete a task ;but performance it measured by what is done not by what was planned.
Is Procrastinating a Mental illness?
No, procrastinating is not a medical mental diagnoses. However, procrastinating does start in the mind. The mind is the place where things go to live, or where things go to die; depending on how you think.
How you think is a major factor in getting started and overcoming procrastination. The best way to stop procrastinating is to simply get started. Inaction produces no results, and you’ll never reach your goals if you don’t start somewhere.
Strategies for Overcoming Procrastination
- Let Go of Perfection– Stop! There is no other method as effective as letting go of perfection. I can definitely understand the desire to want things to be perfect, but there many great things that are produced from mistakes. However, those types of mistakes aren’t available to those who haven’t started.
- Stop Comparing Yourself to Others– Many people have trouble starting because they are comparing their beginning to someone else’s middle or end. Comparing is the worst thing you can do when your’e trying to get started and quit procrastinating. Not only are comparing but you are also forfeiting your own creativity to produce something better rather than something similar to your counterpart.
- Clarify Your Goals- people don’t know where to start because they aren’t clear on what direction they are headed. Disclaimer: Goal setting is important, but it is not the result. Your goals should be clearly defined so that you can create the best possible strategy to produce a great service or product.
4. Ask a friend to Keep You Accountable – Ask a friend whose opinion is very valuable to you, and ask them to keep you accountable to what’s urgent. Accountability is a perfect strategy to gain motivation to stop procrastinating.
5. Start Early– Overcome Procrastination by starting early in the day. According to usandco, daylight has such a major impact on your productivity. Get started as early as you can to maximize your performance and
Stop Procrastinating and Get Things Done
Don’t let procrastination stop you from getting things done. There is still time left to go after your best life. You’ve waited long enough, stop procrastinating and start now.
May you find this post to be a blessing.